Hello all, and thanks for all your notes of concern! First things first, I'm alive and feeling ok today. I'm at a little internet station in the hospital, or should I say, gigantic ritzy shopping mall which happens to have top of the line medical facilities? This place is amazing. Yesterday I spent all day here, seeing the doctor, awaiting lab results, and it gave me a chance to explore the acclaimed hospital and cherish the fact that I was back in Bangkok (civilization). I have missed civilization.
So. I had to give a blood sample, to test for a bajillion things, malaria being my main concern. If you know me at all, I faint at the sight of needles. When I went in for my vaccinations before I left, the nurse was literally singing me the songs they sing to the screaming kids they see every day. I'M TWENTY TWO. Anyway, I was strong (aka closed my eyes the whole time) and somehow she managed to get the full quantity need for the lab. The results from the blood test were good: negative for malaria, blood cell counts normal. To be 100% accurate, a malaria test must be performed at 2 different times, at least 24 hours apart, so I am having another blood test when I come back in on Tuesday, but right now, things look better than what I/we thought. (All signs were leading to it.)
Unfortunately, when I came back to the hotel which is literally a 20 second walk down the street (we are so lucky) I found that Carly had not left. (This was almost 10 hours after I had left that morning). And how's this for irony...she had not been able to leave the room, nor her bed or the bathroom all day :( Talk about roll reversal! I headed out to grab some baguettes and bubbly sodas for both of our unsettled stomachs, and today we have stayed in the room watching god knows what movies they show on Asia HBO. Shoot, I only have 3 mins left. I will write again when I know more, and until then, both of us will be resting and chanelling all of our energy (which is NOT much) into getting ourselves better.
Thank you again for your thoughts!
Love
Julia
p.s. louisa, "bug" salad is actually a funny typo, because they eat fried critters here like potato chips. Tarantulas, beetles, you name it.
Sunday, February 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment